If we want our marriages to be unbreakable, indispensable, flourishing, and thriving, we must be willing to fight for them. The world gives us every reason to have a divided marriage, to have a broken marriage, and to have a bitter marriage. Satan’s ambition is to make marriage seem dispensable. He will do anything he can to steal, kill and destroy it. I think one of the ways he does this is by planting festering lies in our minds. We begin to believe these lies as if they are truths, which leaves us feeling empty, disappointed, frustrated, and hurt.
Lies are like weeds. If you don’t pull them from the garden, they have the ability to overtake it. Don’t let lies overtake your mind, attitude, heart, and life.
Spring time makes me think of cleaning out the junk in my life. It makes me think of tending to the weeds to allow growth and flourishing. But to keep the weeds from growing back, you have to pull them from their roots. The only way to grip the lies and pull them from their roots, is by replacing them with truths.
If you are married, every day you have the power to kill the lies your spouse might be believing, and replace them with truth. When truth is planted, it grows, transforms, and cultivates more truth.
Pull the lies, and plant the truth.
Words are powerful. How you speak, and what you say to you husband or wife matters. It’s likely that you know your spouse better than anyone else does. You know what lies they are tempted to believe, and what truths they need to be reminded of. You have the power to yank the lies from their life, and permeate their minds and hearts with truth.
Marriage is like a garden. If you don’t yank the weeds, they will inhibit flourishing. If you don’t tend to the garden consistently, it will be much harder to tend to when you “finally get around to it.”
Don’t let your marriage be something that you finally get around to nurturing.
One way we can nurture our marriages into blooming gardens is by instilling creative and specific truths in our husbands and wives.
Jeremy and I wanted to encourage couples with a list of 50 phrases (truths) that she needs to hear, and 50 phrases that he needs to hear. I came up with the list for the wives, and Jeremy came up with the list for the husbands. We hope these truths can help your marriage flourish!
50 Things SHE Needs to Hear
- I love you
- You are worthy
- I’m proud of you
- Thank you for everything you do for me
- You are gorgeous (insert name)
- Don’t give up, you’ve got this
- I trust you
- I admire your honesty and genuineness
- You are respected by so many
- Thank you for sharing what’s on your heart with me
- You can do immeasurably more than you ever ask or imagine
- I will keep pursuing you all the days of our lives
- Babe, you are sexy
- You make me laugh and smile
- Your heart is pure
- You are compassionate and loving
- Thank you for being such a great wife
- I am amazed at what an incredible mother you are (will be)
- Your friends are lucky to have you in their lives
- How can I help you today, or this week?
- You make me want to be a better man
- You impress me, and watching you inspires me
- Can I take you on a date?
- What is a dream, craving or desire that has been on your mind this week?
- How can I be praying for you today?
- Can I pray for you right now?
- I like your (insert compliment i.e. dress, hair, make-up, outfit) today!
- I want to kiss you…can I kiss you?
- Tell her why you love her, or what you love about her
- How can I love you better
- Thank you for being my best friend and biggest fan
- I will protect you as long as I am alive
- You smell good
- Don’t worry, I’ll fix it!
- You make me feel at peace
- Thank you for affirming my decisions
- I married up
- You are a Godly woman
- I have learned a lot from you
- You are fun to hang out with, I love your spontaneous spirit
- Thank you for making me feel respected
- Thank you for affirming me in front of my friends and family
- I want to brag about you
- Sometimes I can’t believe it… but I love calling you mine
- You are good at making love to me
- You are so talented AND hard working
- You make me look good
- I love you more today than yesterday
- You are my best friend
- Let’s “Beat 50 Percent”
50 Things He Needs to Hear
- You’re going to do great things
- Thank you for leading our family
- I appreciate when you ____
- You are strong
- I trust you
- Thank you for fixing that
- You’re handsome
- I respect you
- You’re a talented and a hard worker
- You know stuff and I love learning from you
- You’re a great kisser
- I appreciate how you you love me
- You’re my man
- You’re an amazing husband
- You’re intelligent and wise
- I’m so glad I married you
- Thank you for being a gentleman
- Thank you for being you
- I trust your judgment
- I’ll always love you
- You make me feel safe
- You’re going to be a great dad
- You make me happy
- I’ll stand by you no matter what
- You’re a good leader, I trust where you are leading us
- You’re capable
- You are fun to be with
- I like being on your team
- I like working together on things with you
- I want you
- I believe in you
- You are going to change the world
- You are enough
- I love you
- You’re good at sex
- I respect the decision you made
- I am with you on this
- I agree with you
- I was impressed with how you handled that situation
- I like listening to you talk with people and share your perspectives
- I like what you had to say back there
- I support your decision
- Thank you for taking out the trash / doing the dishes
- I’m your wife, yours alone
- I believe in us
- I trust you’ll make the right decision, I’m behind you
- How can I pray for you?
- How can I serve you this week?
- What is a dream craving or desire that has been on your mind lately?
- Let’s “Beat 50 Percent”
These phrases can be verbalized in bed at night, sent via text in the middle of the day, written on a note and hung on the bathroom mirror, via a letter left on their desk, or whispered in their ear.
We hope that these phrases give you ideas for how to love, encourage, and instill truth in your husband or wife. Write these down, or print them off! Instilling these words of affirmation in your husband or wife will help to create a marriage that is better than average, a marriage that is Beating50Percent!
If you can think of some encouraging truths that husbands and wives need to be reminded of, please share them with us, and our readers, in the comments below!
Share some marriage encouragement with your friends via the images below!
Follow us on >>Pinterest<< for more marriage encouragement and ideas!!!
No Fields Found.