Hey Beating 50 Percent! This post is a little different than usual.
We want to introduce you to Chris and Jamie Herb.
You may have heard about Chris and Jamie from our writings. We have learned so so much from them and continue to look up to their marriage and wisdom as we press into what it means to live a life #beating50percent.
Most of you know this already but The Marriage Journal (Navigators Council) was largely inspired by Chris and Jamie. They have been such a blessing to our marriage and the Lord has used them to bless many other marriages as well through pre-maritial counseling.
We asked Chris and Jamie if they would be interested in sharing insights from their marriage more frequently on here, and they agreed! We’re super excited for this because we basically channel their wisdom for you guys already – haha – but now you get to hear it straight from them!
Make them feel welcomed with a friendly comment and let us know how long you have been married in the comments below!
P.S. we’re not going anywhere (Jer&Auj) but we thought this platform will be more useful with some additional writers. Next week we will be introducing another amazing couple that will be writing more frequently on here!
We’re really excited to see this platform and community grow!
We appreciate you guys,
– Jer & Auj
Hey all! Jer and Auj asked us to write a little “Meet the Herb’s” intro for their blog since we will be contributing some entries. In June we celebrate our 20th anniversary. 20 years!! So we figured how about 20 words that describe us and our story. Here we go…
1. Camp. We first saw each other at a church camp. Chris’ ability to lead the electric slide was all it took to catch Jamie’s eye! Ha!
2. Mononucleosis. The day before our first date Jamie was diagnosed with mono. She had it for 6 months. This forced a lot more “talking” in our relationship.
3. Long distance. For 17 months of dating and being engaged we lived 2 hours apart. We had to be intentional with our time together. (Pre cell phones and Skype)
4. Proposal! On Sept 6, ‘96, after experiencing a day full of fun, Chris proposed and recounted 9 things from the day he promised would be lived out in our marriage together. (And we’ve definitely lived out “The 9!”)
5. Wedding! June 20, ‘98, we were married and the message of our day was “RUN for God, RUN for each other, and RUN for others.” We’ve been running ever since!
6. Same team. The first 5 years of marriage we experienced HUGE learning curves. (Might be why we’re so passionate about helping young marrieds! Ha!)
7. Decisions. Our journey has been full of big decisions (jobs, moving, kids, health, faith, finances, values) It has been a blessing making those together in partnership.
8. Date night. Every Wednesday night the first 15 years. Funny when we were first married our budget was $25 a week! After kids it was $5. Regardless if it’s extravagant or simple, it has been significant. It’s fun and it’s “undivided attention”!
9. Brokenness. Marriage has exposed our own brokenness and the brokenness of others. Yep, we can be selfish. Thankfully, God enters in and walks with us and makes us more aware of ourselves, one another, and others.
10. Prayer. At noon every day we pray. It’s quick, usually on the phone, and a big blessing!
11. 4 Kids. Brendan ‘01, Payton ‘03, Lauren ‘05, Jordan ‘08. Never a dull moment in the Herb house. We often say, “parenting is the most rewarding AND humbling job we’ve ever had!”
12. Cancer. Payton was diagnosed with stage 3 Neuroblastoma at 6 months. Needless to say it rocked our lives, faith, and marriage.
13. Corvallis, OR. Moved here in 2005. (which on paper made NO sense) It took a BIG step of faith. In hindsight it’s been the best thing for our family and ministry.
14. Health. Through our kids serious health challenges and much research Jamie began educating on food and healthy living in 2013. (Turning mourning into dancing again!)
15. The Love-Seat. Over 60 couples have sat in our love-seat over the years for our pre-marital counseling sessions. We LOVE walking with couples in the first steps of their journey.
16. SPORTS! Sports have been a great way to teach our kids about life. We have 3 soccer players and 1 hoopster. “We manage sports, we don’t let sports manage us” is our motto!
17. Marriage Journal. We do it every week and it’s transformed our communication!
18. Hawaii. It’s been a place of rest, adventure, healing and dreaming. We choose to invest in a yearly vacation just the two of us.
19. Mission/Ministry. Our lives are lived on mission! God wants to use our everyday lives to bless others and we choose mission over self-preservation.
20. Laughter. We choose joy. We choose laughter. We choose to not take ourselves too seriously. Life’s an adventure, so we go for it!
We hope these 20 words from 20 years give you a little insight into our lives and journeys. We are excited to be a part of yours!