It’s simple, to Beat 50 Percent.
During our five month engagement, we were bombarded with remarks from people who rolled their eyes and spouted sarcastic, “good luck,” remarks at our future promise.
“Honey you don’t even know the man you are marrying at 23… he will be a completely different man at 30.”
“Boy, prepare to lose your freedom…”
We were shocked at the negative comments regarding marriage, and even more shocked at our culture’s obsession with lust over love, and sex over intimacy.
Our mission in life, and on this blog is to do and be all things that cultivate covenant marriages. We aim to give more than 50% effort into our marriage. To live a life Beating 50 Percent is our mission.
We are stubbornly confident that there are still people in pursuit of covenant marriages; Marriages that are undividedly devoted, completely committed, persistently selfless, value-centered, joy-filled, and love-based.
This mission was inspired in part, by a photo that we saw in an old antique shop of an elderly couple holding each other close. Under the photo it read, “Back in our day, when something broke, you fixed it instead of throwing it away.”
We found ourself awestruck at the truth of the statement. It’s true! When our grandparents were growing up, if their car, bike, sink, dress, bed, marriage or radio broke, they fixed it. Nowadays, most people wouldn’t even know how to fix those things even if they wanted to. More than that, most people don’t want to because they don’t need to. If it breaks, they just buy a new one, a better one. Seemingly, nothing is irreplaceable. And so the same concept has unfortunately translated to our marriages. If it breaks, just get a new one.
Mission: To inspire covenant marriages to beat average, to encourage husbands and wives to give more than 50% to their spouse, and to revive marriages that are indispensable – marked by fixing instead of throwing away.
Beating 50 Percent is about having better than average marriages, and giving more than 50% to your spouse. The hope is that our readers, viewers, and listeners would be relentlessly compelled to give more, serve more, learn more, play more, seek more, and love more, always more.
We want our marriage to be marked by “fixing,” instead of “throwing away. A marriage that Beats 50 Percent
May this decade be marked by a revival of covenant marriages, and love that endures. Together, let’s Beat 50 Percent!
*We understand that our values may differ than yours, but if you found your way to this blog chances are we both have a passion to revive healthy, whole, and thriving marriages
Creation – We believe that the majestic beauty of this world was created by God, and that the human race was his masterpiece. We believe that we were created in the image of God, and we aim to bear that image well.
Heaven here and now – We are living in the tension of the “now and not yet.” We believe that heaven exists here on this earth, and that as followers of Christ we are ushering in more of it and glorifying God’s kingdom. We also believe that heaven is not yet, that heaven can also be described as the New Earth, upon Jesus’s return- a redeeming of this world. We believe eternity, will be on this earth, however it gets “made new” just like how it all started. Right now, we live in a world where there is evil, brokenness, despair, hurt, and suffering and we do not take that lightly. Our hearts break with compassionate over this reality, and our ambition is to bring more of heaven to earth! We hope that this blog is a means to that end. This is what Jesus meant when he taught us how to pray, “on Earth as it is in Heaven.”
The Bible – We believe that the Bible is inspired by God, a love letter to his daughters and sons, the embodiment of truth, and our compass. We believe that the Bible sheds light on the dark places. It turns confusion to clarity, despair to hope, defeat to encouragement, and suffering to joy.
Jesus – We believe in Jesus Christ as our savior, rescuer, redeemer, and Holy Lord. Ann Voskamp says it “Jesus Christ, the One with no earthly Father, with the dust of this earth between His toes, and with our names etched onto the palm of His hands, right beneath the nail scars…Who now sits at the Father’s right hand making endless intercession on our behalf.” We believe in the life, death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus, and are committed to living out His teachings in the world.
The Holy Spirit – A fancy way for saying, God with and in us. We believe that the same power that conquered death is alive in us, and that we have access to it through faith. We believe that our God works miracles, and that we get to partner with Him to carry out the work He created us to do. We believe that faith in Christ, conviction of sin, salvation, and Christian growth, are all evidence of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the reason we birthed this blog.
The Church – Biblically, the church was not meant to be a place that we “go to” on the weekends. It’s not a building for good speakers to share inspiring messages, it’s not a way to make God’s word appeal to culture, and it’s not a place to host big events to draw in the masses. We believe that the church is a people. We believe that the church is a community of people living out the scriptures every day, by the power of the Holy Spirit, and the grace of God. “The Church is not another sub-culture, but the making of a new humanity.” For us, we are living out the Gospel as best we know how in the city of Bend, Oregon. We are a part of a fellowship of people who meet regularly (in a home), study the scriptures, pray fervently, ask questions, encourage each other, give generously, and laugh abundantly.
Bearing Fruit – We believe in more than believing. We believe in living, inspiring, giving, encouraging, and loving. Bearing fruit is another one of those “Christianise” terms for, “evidence of Christ in your life.” Our hope is that this blog and our lives would be a means of bearing fruit. We know that sometimes God doesn’t let you see the fruit to keep you humble, and we accept that and trust that the works of our hands will not be in vain.
A Promise – We believe that marriage is a covenant, the union of souls, an unbreakable bond, an unwavering commitment, a faithful devotion and an enduring love. We believe that you should spend more time preparing for your marriage than your wedding. We believe that “I do” is not just something you say once, it’s something you stay daily. It’s something you live out, together, “till death do us part.” Marriage requires three strands: A husband, A Wife, and God. Without the third strand, the braid will unravel. “Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken.” Ecc 4:12 We coined this, #braidit.
“To find and still seek, now that is love”
What To Expect From Beating 50 Percent
This is a journalistic blog where we will be writing from our experiences and personal journey. However, there will also be large portions of content we deliver from other writers by way of guest posting and interviewing.
We cannot deny our Lord Jesus Christ. Our writings will be inspired from our faith and our belief that life has a purpose, humanity is aware of that purpose, and it is our job to live out that purpose. A freedom marked by joy that is available to everyone.
Anything is attainable if you have the proper tools at hand, this blog will bring tools, tips, tricks, stories and inspiration from marriages around the world.
Click here to read about Our Values
Why, “Beating 50 Percent“
“So, whats up with the name?”
Yes, the name… Beating 50 Percent is an idea. We believe that relationships, specifically marriages, hold the power to interpret how we experience life, wether it be misery or joy.
100% is full effort, 0% is no effort, 50% would just be the average. And we want more than average.
Relationships are what matter most and they deserve far more than an average effort. We wanted to create a community where people can read, watch, listen and learn ways to always be giving more to their marriage. Beating 50 Percent is what we want to do and inspire others to do. Always beating average, and aways giving more and more, always more, to their marriage. Hopefully 100%
Thus, Beating 50 Percent.
Still Reading? More About Us.
The Lowdown on Jer
- Raised on a farm in Helvetia, Oregon
- Has a thing for railroad tracks
- Naturally insanely curly blonde hair afro status
- Has a raving obsession with old cars
- Graduated from Brooks film and photography school in Santa Barbara, CA
- Is a professional photographer/videographer
- Grew up on a reality TV show on TLC called “Little People Big World” Age 14-current
- Shakes his legs relentlessly while sitting down
- Always sings his yawns
- Loves to rock climb, play chess, ride his bike, and as of recently ski (since Audrey taught him)
- Built a swamp fort with a fulling functioning draw bridge on the back edge of his family’s 110 acre farm when he was 15 years old
- Wore extremely skinny skinny jeans before they were cool
- Has a twin brother that’s 2 feet shorter than him
- Slept outside on the ground by his campfire pit every night while growing up on the farm
- First job – mowing lawns
- Favorite drink – Will drink Coors Light over anything… aka farm boy
- Favorite thing about Audrey – I love the back hair curl that never quite makes it into the bun, I love how she loves Jesus, and I love how she gets excited about farm things
Life Mantra – “Life or Bust”
Lifelong dream – To build an overland vehicle and live out of it while traveling across the country, taking photos, meeting people and documenting stories. And to take over the family Farm – Roloff Farms
Jer – @jeremyroloff
The Lowdown on Auj
- Raised in the suburbs of Portland, Oregon
- Naturally insanely curly red hair afro status
- Has a thing for railroad tracks
- Grew up downhill ski racing, and practicing ballet
- Ran Division I collegiate cross-country and track at Oregon State University and was the captain of the team #gobeavs
- Walked through life with the same incredible group of friends since kindergarten – aka the “God Squad”
- Met her best friend (who later joined the God Squad) through running xc and track, they call each other “Bud”
- Loves red lip stick, wheat fields, campfires, peaches, country music, and her kitty
- Is a Barre 3 instructor (a fitness class that combines elements of yoga, ballet, and pilates)
- Worked that corporate life at Nike and Gallo Wine Company before pursuing her passion for writing full time on her blog Auj Poj, and now here!
- First job – Anthropologie
- Favorite drink – Apothic Red (wine)
- Favorite thing about Jeremy – His passionate pursuit of the Lord and me, the way he burns my insecurities, and his mannerisms;) Ok so that’s three things….
- Life Mantra – “Always More” which was what she wrote on her hand when she raced to remind her that she ALWAYS has MORE strength, power, and endurance in Christ
Lifelong dream – To ski in Switzerland, live on a farm, and have a big family.
Auj – @audreyroloff